Genuinely Holistic & Wholly Green
Gardenalia creates thriving outdoor spaces through careful consideration of every element. Our expertise lies in design and choosing the right plant for the right place. We design and install sustainable landscapes and gardens, while always advocating for the responsible use of land and natural resources in our landscapes and horticultural practices.
Biological systems are naturally sustainable.
Healthy Ecosystems naturally endure. By embracing and reinforcing natural life-sustaining processes, we can create lasting vibrant landscapes. For this reason, best horticultural practices inform everything that we do. Our big-picture approach to sustainability relies on making wise choices: selecting symbiotic plants, managing gardens organically, utilizing green roofs & rain gardens, and integrating responsible pest management and irrigation plans. Our gardens are designed and implemented around these considerations, making sustainability an integral aspect of our landscapes.
Specific ways we support the vitality of living systems in nature:
- Soil Ecology – We recommend a soil test to determine its underlying condition, including pH and macronutrients. We amend soils with conditioners such as compost or leaf mulch to support a happy environment for the microbes and worms as well as promoting good tilth or structure. No synthetic water soluble fertilizers used here!
- Natural Pest Avoidance – When plants thrive, opportunities for pest invasions are dramatically reduced. Diverse planting plans that include trees, shrubs, and perennials provide natural habitats for birds and predator insects, who in turn take care of the pest insects. In a pinch, we can introduce predators such as ladybugs to feast on aphids. It works — naturally!
- Healthy Root Systems – Planting techniques are vital! All of our gardeners are trained according to the best horticultural practices. We water to encourage deep root growth so that plants can ultimately withstand occasional droughts.
- Smart Mulching – Besides looking good and keeping weeds down, mulch helps regulate the surface temperature of the soil. It’s one way we reduce evapotranspiration (the loss of water from soil and plants through evaporation and transpiration).
- Green Solutions – We apply natural fertilizers like compost, fish emulsion, and seaweed for a seasonal boost and use a variety of natural solutions for pest problems. We use a holistic approach that considers the fundamental relationships and target the pest.
- Responsible Weed Control – We use the preemergent herbicide corn gluten, as well as newspaper mulching, to naturally control weeds.